like minds think alike
Our goal is to make Rare-Autos the world's leading portal for the classic car community.
Our objective is to offer a FREE open source service designed to celebrate the beauty of all old, rare and unique things. The first is Rare-Autos, but after that we would like to launch Rare-Bikes, Rare-Boats. Rare-Watches, Rare-Toys, Rare-Tunes, Rare-Fashion, Rare-Models, Rare-Money, Rare-Stamps and more.
We are not a corporate business. We are not old, not young, not rich, not insane... just normal people who love rare and unique things.
Let's start with the story of how the Rare concept came about. We have our own classic cars, done restorations as well as participated in a range of different communities and forums. We found that if you are looking for a specific classic car or part, you will often only find irrelevant products, out of date listings or worse, not being able to find anything at all. Selling your precious car or part on larger classified sites can be expensive and often your car does not get the attention it needs because it is mixed with modern makes. With eBay you often have to log into all the eBay sites (because listings are not shared across them) and see if you can find what you are looking for, battling with different languages and searching through all sorts of irrelevant items. If instead you want to find specifications you have to go to one site but for more detailed information go to Wikipedia or somewhere else. Then if you want to look at pictures, watch documentaries about your favorite car you would have to leave and go to YouTube, Pinterest and search endlessly on Google. Not to mention if you had a technical issue or question you would find yourself posting on a range of forums to get an answers. (Sound familiar?)
The funny thing is that this does not just apply to classic cars. It is the same situation whether you like old motorbikes, boats, watches, even for those that collect stamps, coins, models, music or even things like antique weapons or toys. All major hobbies or people passionate about niche interests have to do a lot of work to get what they want and need. There is also a connection between all these interests. We believe that "like minds think alike". Most people that are enthusiastic about one interest (eg classic cars) also love or are enthusiastic about other segments. Eg If you love old cars you probably love old bikes, boats, watches, maybe even boats, cool old coins, toys or even collect old music as well. Anything that has been made or created with thought and passion really.
We have an ambitions intentions. Here is how we want to make Rare-Autos Different:
- You won't find any car for sale newer than 1989 on this site!
- We have partnered with eBay and are using their technology to import cars from all eBays from around the world and consolidating them into one place. This means that you don't have to login to each eBay and search for your rare items. You will find them all in one place, in a currency and language of your choice. We are importing cars into our system from eBay USA, UK, Australia, Germany, Austria, Italy, France, Belgium, Switzerland and Spain. The best things is if you want to bid or buy you can connect to eBay through the site and bid directly with your usual eBay account.
- Every section of the site including cars, part, events, blogs, history files, business listings and even media uploads are connected to a sophisticated MAKE MODEL SERIES structure letting you know everything about your favourate vehicle of interest.
- We have detailed history files with videos of each make, and this will also slowly grow to models as well. (If you open up a car listing you will find there is a tab next to the description with History of Make, Model ect.)
- To create a truly international site, we are working on having the site in 5 languages, English, French, Italian, German and Spanish.
- We allow for listings in all major currencies (over a dozen).
- When you list you will find very detailed classic car centric search options. Eg is it matching numbers?, Concours Condition? Has it been restored within 5 years? Documentation etc etc. This is so you can find all the information you need quickly and accurately.
- You can create your own blog (yes that is right one for yourself) and share a personal "garage story" with the rest of the community.
- IF AND WHEN YOU CAN'T FIND WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR, register on our free Rare-Scout service which will automatically update you when an item you are searching is listed on the site.
- ... and a whole lot more.
Our aim is not to charge private users, instead leverage off modest advertising, member upgrades and charging commercial parties for their use of the site.
We don't want to change the world, just to make it a better place for people that are passionate about being passionate about something. But we can't do it all on our own and we need your help to make this a successful service. List your car or part, post a question on our forums, list your club or business, upload videos or other media, create your own blog, share your "Garage Story" with others, update our wikis and enjoy our site.